Sunday, February 3, 2008

Artist Gordon Hallorans "Painting Below Zero"



This Saturday my husband and I went into Chicago to see Gordon Hallorans "Paintings Below Zero". I read the articles on what the pieces would be and I had a different image in my mind. I expected it to be more complex. I think they were nice...but I felt a little too simple..but thats because one must go back at various times on different days to appreciate the CHANGE that occurs when the ice melts. The only problem with that is that for most; the time they look at it is the only time they will see it. I guess if you lived close by you could obtain that goal of watching the ice melt and change.

If I were working with Gordon I would encourage him to do more ice sculpting with intersecting large pieces...like the crashing of an ice berg into another ice berg or like in Michigan when the water forces 100's of pounds of ice upon each other forming mountains of intersected and jagged pieces of thick ice. I've seen this and it's awe inspiring to look at. I also wonder what it would be like to put lights behind the ice..would it make the crystals stand out more???? He's got me thinking! I wonder what it would be like to put tiny tiny beads of paint into the ice and what would happen when it freezes. Would it make the tiny paint bubbles explode??

Anyway..I did enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment