Sunday, November 9, 2008

SOFA show Chicago 2008



Yesterday was the most delightful day! Gerri Govert (a well accomplished artist) and I attended the Sculpture Object and Functional Art Show in Chicago at Navy Pier. We took about three hours and savored every object, dissecting, drooling, savoring, and conspiring together! I CANNOT go to these shows and not think of the processes and techniques the artist goes through. It totally energizes me to try different techniques. I always feel like an over anxious kid in a candy shop. It's the same feeling when I'm in an art supply shop with lots of goodies I haven't tried yet!!

The show was fabulous. I have such respect for these artists. I saw things I didn't even know were possible to do. A small wooden bowl that looked like small thin pieces of wire! If you blew on it you felt it would disappear.

Every year when I come back from this show I love posting a few things I loved. which is hard since I loved almost everything!

The big face is from Gugger Petter from the Jane Seymour gallery I believe. The face is very large and is made from rolled newspaper and hemp and laid to make the face.

The other is a portrait from SOl Halabi in Argentina by the Maria Elena Kravets Gallery. I loved this work because the only thing done realistically is the face...everything else is done abstractly and it worked!!!

I am putting away the dog for awhile. It's not right and I want to move on. After attending this show I want to do a more serious piece now.

Monday and Tuesday I will be in Milwaukee. I plan and have a list to go to all the nice galleries including their state of the art museum of art.

Oh! I also picked up some brochures on classes that go for a week or more. Anyone have any comments on Penland School of Crafts in Penland, NC?? Or other suggestions on classes this summer that are good?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun.

    The museum at Milwaukee had one of my favorite paintings. I think the title is "The Woodgathers"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the one. OK, since you are on vacation I won't complain about lack of output.

    ReplyDelete