Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Another Old Painting back on the drawing board!




Yes, I am still working on my mural. But I felt the need to unload some old things I never was happy with Taos Roses. I started painting these roses as it was sentimental. My mother was still alive and we had made a trip to our cabin in Colorado. We then drove to Taos, New Mexico and stayed at the Fechin Inn. Yes, the artist Nikolai Fechin and these roses were on a wall in front. My mother LOVED the Fechin Inn!

The composition is awkward I admit. I am thinking about
putting a rose bud just opening at the bottom. You can see where I put one in slightly with colored chalk to get an idea of how it might look.

The drawing is a 30 minuet sketch from our drawing session. Yes, I know...it's out of proportion in a lot of different areas. At the time I'm drawing I try and connect the dots and make sure the arm is falling where the chin has stopped, etc, etc, and the over all weight of things...I get so caught up in detail I over look the drawing as a whole and this is what happens. I know I need some help. I need more time to draw. I'm a slow drawer. I have to have time to walk away for awhile and see a fresh perspective and see my flaws in the drawing. You don't get that opportunity when your drawing from a live model.

Bill, I have a lot of courage to post this especially after looking at yours and Lisa's awesome work! But I have no pride. I am still on a journey and I don't care if it takes me another 20 years to get there. I will eventually get there.

I have saved a newspaper clipping from Memphis that talked of a woman in her 80's that had her first show. I have saved that as inspiration in that if I'm in my 80's and reach my goal I'll die a happy woman!

2 comments:

  1. Dawn - I really like the roses and the drawing looks fine although a triffle small to see any detail. Thanks for the complement but to tell the truth I too am a very slow drawer and make errors on a continuous basis. I have been trying to draw a horse for days. Finally borrowed some books to see what the general proportions are supposed to be. Each and every drawing and painting I do is a struggle. I don't believe for anyone there is an end point where you feel you have reached some goal of skills that will never fail you. No one is perfect at drawing or painting and although they may create some works that are near perfect by whatever standard that is, if you look at a body of their works you will find errors in drawing or painting.

    So just relax and enjoy your growing skills and the window on the beauty of the world it gives you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dawn, 80 is on its way. Let us get to painting (and showing Bill what we have done).

    Hope you had a happy Easter. If you didn't eat all the colored eggs like I did, maybe you could do a painting.

    ReplyDelete