Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Churning Sea by Karen Gunderson


While in Santa Fe we ventured over to the Railyard District . The Railroad District was to have lots of Galleries, but several had closed probably due to the economy.

We were in the William Siegal Gallery of Ancient Contemporary art. While walking around I passed a large 72" x 72" painting, and then slowly backed up. I stared at the painting which was d one only in black and white. While staring I found myself backing up and holding my gaze. I was totally enchanted and perplexed by this painting. A painting that I could have easily missed but once my eye caught the image I was spell bound. Believe me....I don't usually get spell bound by many paintings. I literally stood there for 20 minuets.

The painting is by a New York artist called Karen Gunderson. She works ONLY in black and white. Sounds boring...but it is amazing what she has done. Her other works were wonderful, but this one painting is beyond phenominal!!

I'll post the picture titled "Churning Sea" which is exactly what it looks like. How she planned each stroke that catches the light in such a way that the waves are actually moving while you move.

BRAVO to Karen! You've opened up a new world for me. Who would have thought of only using black and white and the direction of the strokes determines how the light catches it and creates the painting!

1 comment: