Friday, November 27, 2009

Wednesdays Life Drawing session


Gerrie my friend who is also an artist is a blessing for me. To be able to have someone who understands and shares the same interest is a great treasure. Wednesday evenings from 6-9:30 we go together to the Art Barn to do our Life Drawing sessions with a few other serious artists. This is such a cute place. It's out in the middle of nowhere. An old farm converted to an artists haven which carries several art shows every year. The stools, easels, tables and floors are coated with layers and layers of paint while paintings hang along the walls. Big windows to look out over the sunflower and corn fields. Trees with small painted hanging bird houses throughout. It is totally adorable! I'll have to take a picture and post it so you'll know what I'm talking about.

I watched my friend Gerrie on our 30 minuets sketch since I was curious how she started her pastel sketches. Normally I just do graphite and my approach is very rigid. It was interesting as she just scribbled color down in a block and then her hand was in a rhythm, moving around until her marks created spaces that she kept refining. The finished product was loose and beautiful! So next week...I'll give it a try.
p.s. You can obviously tell this is my drawing since it isn't loose....I messed around with it later. I look forward to trying Gerrie's technique next week.

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to see you learning new things and pushing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May not be loose but it is nice. If your personality is not "loose" it will be difficult to go that direction. I had a drawing class where the teacher hung 3 ink drawings on the wall. One was very controlled with cross hatching, one had medium control, and one was a scribble. All three drawing of a model were very well done and appealing. The teacher said we will draw in ink and today you will discover one of your personality traits. You will draw more or less in one of these three styles. You can try to draw in a style that does not fit your personality but you will find it so frustrating you will return to your own style.

    Wow, that was long winded.

    Wish I could be drawing at that old place with you all.

    ReplyDelete