Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Beginning of Abstract Journey

Well, we have a show coming up titled "When Attitudes Becomes Forms" in July. So we have to interpret that for ourselves. So I thought I would do my Attitude toward Abstraction. As you can see I've had a bad start...I've taped paper here and there to see what I like. nope..I've played around with texture in a small are...nope...so I am slowly coming to the idea of putting molding paste over the whole canvas and going totally free flow...pouring color over it...

So here I start out...lets see where the journey takes me. On this one...the painting will take me...I'm looking for a direction...and I don't think this is it. Too many circles...etc. etc...

Which by the way the term "When Attitudes Becomes Forms" was first made and coined by Harold Szeemann who died at the age of 71. He was a curator of his generation. He defined the curators role. He sought, he said, to create shows that were "poems in space".

"Live in Your Head; When Attitudes Become Form, the first major survey of Conceptual art to take place in Europe was due to Szeemann. He introduced Andy Warhol in his first show in Europe. With this show the artists were allowed to contribute any work that they felt would be releveant that was subtitled "Works, concepts, processes, situations, information" marked an important methodological shift for exhibition practice. Some artists such as Lawrence Weiner took out three square feet of wall space, and Michale Heizer demolished the sidewalk with a metal ball, etc.. As the title suggested, this was not an exhibition of artworks but of "attitudes," the implication being that the artists themselves, as creative subjects and eccentric personalities were as much on display as their works.

Information from The Free Library an article written by Daniel Birnbaum

No comments:

Post a Comment